DME RAM Checksum Repair (Cold Weather Stalling Issue) BMW E46 / E83 / E85 / E60
The main symptom of this DME failure you will experience is the vehicle stalling after about 20 to 25 seconds after start up in cold temperatures.
If you read the fault codes in the DME you will find some or all of the following codes:
- 2774 -- Engine cut off time
- 28B2 -- RPM limiting: reset
- 27A1 -- Electronic throttle controller: start check
- 2830 -- DME RAM self-test: checksum
- 2796 -- Electronic throttle controller: adaptation wrong
- 2869 -- DME Self Diagnostics : RAM-Check Failed
- 286B -- DME Self Diagnostics : Multi-output Module
- P16A0 -- Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error in Boot Software
- P16A1 -- Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error in Application Software
All of the fault codes above indicate that you need a NEW DME since your processor is now defective, however, Rpm Motorsport is able to repair this issue and offer a 1 Year warranty on this particular repair. This is something we discovered over 10 years ago and so it only felt right to share what we have found to help the BMW community to better understand this frustrating problem.
You might notice the engine stalling shortly after start up happening randomly once in a while in cold weather (usually below 35 degrees Fahrenheit or around 2 degrees celsius. Usually in the warmer months the car will start and run fine until the temperatures drop again and you are plagued with the same issue again and as time goes on the symptoms may become worse and worse. Before you know it your vehicle is un-drivable in the winter months.
So what exactly is the issue here and how do we go about repairing it so that the same thing doesn’t happen again in the future you might ask?
Here's a look into how this repair is completed.
Note: Once our work is finished we update the DME to the latest BMW Program Number (Latest Firmware)
Solder left behind on certain components by previous companies that worked on the ECU are professionally cleaned by Rpm Motorsport before we proceed with the repair.